Troubleshooting - Access and Create debug logs | RingCentral Phone App for Desktop Windows
Described below are the different methods to access extract the RingCentral Phone App logs which you can send to our Customer Support.
How to enable Application logs and Send crash reports automatically - Follow this to enable Application logs and Send crash reports automatically.
How to collect the logs from the RingCentral Phone App folder - Follow this if you need to access the log files.
How to run debug mode and generate log files - Follow this to run the RingCentral Phone App in debug mode and generate a log file. This is helpful if you can recreate the issue and need the log files.
How to enable Application logs and Send crash reports automatically
- 1. Log in to your RingCentral Desktop app.
- 2. Click Settings icon.
- 3. Click Support.
- 4. The Technical Support tab is displayed by default. Enable Application logs and Send crash reports automatically.
- 1. Click the Send Product Feedback tab which is beside the Technical Support tab.
- 2. Select the topic of your feedback, then provide a description of the issue on the space provided. You may also include your Email address.
- 3. Click Send.
How to collect the logs from the RingCentral Phone App folder
- 1. Launch RingCentral Phone App.
- 2. Press CTRL+ F1, then open App Data folder.
Manually open logs:
- 1. Open File Explorer (Windows + S) and enter "C:\Users\<your.username>\AppData\Local\RingCentral\SoftPhoneApp\Logs".
- 2. Copy the log files relevant to your issue. You can check the "Date Modified" info that matches when you experienced the issue.
How to Run debug mode and generate log files
- 1. Shut down the RingCentral Phone App using the system tray exit option. It must be shutdown via this method as closing the program does not shut it down, it will still show as running the system tray.
- 2. Open Notepad and create a blank file named“debug.mode” and make sure to save it as “All Files”:
- 3. Take the “debug.mode” file and put it in directory: C:\Users\<your.username>\AppData\Local\RingCentral\SoftPhoneApp\
- 4. Open the RingCentral Phone App for Windows and log in. You should see a console window popup on the desktop. If you do not see this, the debug is not running:
- 5. Replicate the issue then log out again.
- 6. Use the system tray to exit the RingCentral for Windows program the same way as in step 1.
- 7. Go to the C:\Users\<your.username>\AppData\Local\RingCentral\SoftPhoneApp\ directory and delete the “debug.mode” file.
- 8. You can get the log file for the softphone by going to the following directory: C:\Users\<your.username>\AppData\Local\RingCentral\SoftPhoneApp\Logs
- 9. The log file created will be decrypted into plain text for analysis.
- 10.If you are providing this information to RingCentral technical support, email the log file to your support representative.