Setup 3rd party/BYOD phones to work with RingCentral
Provisioning is when you setup or connect a phone to the RingCentral cloud platform for secure voice, audio conferencing, and online meetings.
NOTE: Phones bought from RingCentral are preconfigured and fully provisioned which means they are connected to the RingCentral service and are ready to use.
For phones not bought from RingCentral, maybe from a previous/ different provider or bought directly from the manufacturer/ distributor, you may still setup/provision and use them with RingCentral as long as the device is either:
• Included in the list of recommended phones (Assisted Provisioning)
• SIP Compatible (Manual Provisioning)
This article lists the requirements and describes the differences when provisioning your phone via Assisted or Manual Provisioning.
3rd Party/BYOD Phone Setup/Provisioning Requirements
• Make sure your 3rd party/BYOD phone is supported by either Assisted or Manual Provisioning - Check if your phone is listed RingCentral - List of Supported Phones
• You need to add a local Phone Number and assign the Phone number to your Desk phone.
• For Manual Provisioning, you will need to get the SIP Settings, for more information: Manual Provisioning: How do I set up my Desk Phone to work with RingCentral.
IMPORTANT: If you purchased your device from a different provider, make sure that the phone is unlocked before you proceed.
You may encounter an error that the phone is not registering with RingCentral. This may mean that the phone is locked with your previous provider. Please contact your previous provider's support to have the phone unlocked.
Depending on your phone's compatibility, you may either configure with Assisted Provisioning or Manual Provisioning.
Assisted Provisioning is available on some phone models which are sold and or supported by RingCentral.
• In Assisted Provisioning, the phone's Serial Number is entered on your RingCentral Online account, and RingCentral's Provisioning Server address is entered inside the phone's Menu.
• This allows the phone to automatically connect, download, and update the information. Since your system is in the cloud, updates and new features appear automatically.
Assisted Provisioning | Yealink Phones
Assisted Provisioning | Cisco/Linksys IP Phones
Assisted Provisioning | Polycom SIP Phones
Assisted Provisioning | Polycom OBi302 ATA
Manual Provisioning is performed when a device is not on the list of supported devices for Assisted Provisioning. (Phones that are not sold and supported by RingCentral but can still work with RingCentral)
• In Manual Provisioning, SIP Settings are entered manually in the phone's menu or web interface.
• The Authorization information and SIP settings for the phone are entered manually in the phone's Menu or Web Interface, to be able to ONLY register with the RingCentral servers.
• Manual Provisioning will not maintain communication for updates to the phone, only the registration with the service.
• Manual Provisioning will not allow the phone updates from RingCentral's servers.
• Manual Provisioning will not pull the firmware required for RingCentral's features.
• Users with manually provisioned phones will not be able to use Presence.
• Phones manually provisioned will not have softkeys for Paging and Intercom.
Although RingCentral recommends and only provides full support for RingCentral-provided IP phones (phones purchased from RingCentral), we recognize that some customers may wish to use other devices.
Manual Provisioning instructions for these phones can be found at https://www.ringcentral.com/office/voip-phone.html. Select the Phones and Headsets > Other Phones > Other phones that require manual setup > Find your phone model > Click "Download Instructions".
NOTE: RingCentral does not provide additional support for phones purchased from third party vendors. For product support on devices not purchased from RingCentral, please refer to the product's vendor for support.
Manual Provisioning | How do I set up my Desk Phone to work with RingCentral
Manual Provisioning | Cisco Phones
Manual Provisioning | Polycom phones