How to Troubleshoot Partially Sent and Received Faxes
NOTE: The time required for transmitting fax messages depends on the quality and content of the fax that will be sent. For documents that contain mostly text, it usually takes approximately 1 minute per page for the document to be delivered. When sending documents that contain graphics (scanned pages of documents), or for faxes sent to a slow fax line, it may take 5 minutes per page or more to be delivered.
Where to view received faxes
Fax sent to main company number
The fax message can be found in the Super Admin extension's Inbox (Ext 101). Log in to the RingCentral Account as Super Admin (Ext 101) > Select My Extension > Messages > Inbox.
Fax sent to extension's direct phone number
The fax message can be found in that specific extension's Inbox (ex, Ext 106). Log in to the RingCentral Account using the User Extension's credentials > My Extension > Messages > Inbox.
See Fax - Where to view received faxes for more information.
Partially Received Faxes
You might receive partial faxes, such as incomplete pages or pages are cut off. Faxing has known limitations when implemented as a Fax-over-IP service. These limitations are technology-based and industry-wide.
The steps below are for helping RingCentral Support isolate where the issue is coming from.
1. Check your Received Fax History via the Call Log section on your RingCentral Online account
• This is to determine if the partial faxes are being received from a single number only. See Filtering Call Log for more information.
• If you have access to the sending machine (the machine from where you received the partial fax),
- lower the baud rate to 9600
- turn off Error Correction Mode and/or Overseas Mode.
NOTE: Steps may depend on the Fax Machine model.
2. If the faxes are being forwarded to your RingCentral Fax Number from a different carrier, have the sender send a fax message directly to your RingCentral Fax Number.
IMPORTANT: After following steps 1 and 2, ask the sender to resend the fax. If there are still issues, proceed with step 3.
3. If the issue is happening on multiple sending numbers, gather samples that is from within the last 24 hours for possible carrier escalation. Please Contact RingCentral Support for assistance.
4. Check your extension mailbox. If the issue is due to extension mailbox is approaching or over 200 messages and does not have enough room to hold the new messages, delete older messages. To do this, follow the steps below:
• Log in to your RingCentral Account.
• Go to My extension view > Messages > Inbox.
• Check if the Inbox is approaching or over 200 new messages.
• If yes, check on the box beside older messages, then click Delete.
NOTE: Delete the older messages until there is enough room to allow more faxes to come through. Mailbox size maximum of 200 messages, is shared between new and saved, faxes and voicemails.
Partially Sent Faxes
• Ensure that the attached files are supported. For more information, go to Fax - Supported File Attachments.
• The file name of attached files should not include ampersands (e.g. &) or other special characters.
• Ensure that the attachment does not exceed 200 pages.
• Ensure that the combined size of all attachments does not exceed 20 MB.
IMPORTANT: Faxes are not automatically resent when they fail. After following the guidelines above, you need to resend your fax.
See Fax - Check Status of Sent Faxes for more information.
Check the following articles below if you are still experiencing other issues.
• Not receiving incoming fax notification emails
• Setup updates and alerts for received faxes | RingCentral Phone for Mobile
• Unable to open faxes on RingCentral Phone for Desktop
• Unable to open faxes on RingCentral Phone for Mobile
• Unable to receive faxes | Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA)
• Where to view received faxes
• Fax via Email - Unable to send faxes
• Fax Out API - Unable to send faxes
• Unable to send faxes via RingCentral Phone for Desktop
• Scan to Fax - Unable to send faxes
• Print to Fax - RingCentral Internet Fax not showing on the list of available printers
• Unable to attach file | FaxOut (Online Account)
• Unable to attach file from Dropbox, Box, and/or Google Drive
• Unable to attach file | RingCentral Phone for Mobile
• Unable to receive Fax Transmission Result notification emails
Frequently Asked Questions
• Can I resend failed fax messages?
• Confirmation for Fax Sent Successfully