RingCentral Dial-by-Name Directory
Dial-by-Name Directory enables your callers to find extensions in your system by first or last name when they press 9 (default Dial-by-Name extension number) from the auto-receptionist.
You can change how the extensions are searched, either by first name or last name, configure the list of extensions included, and change the extension number of the directory.
• All RingCentral Office plans
• RingCentral Professional ProPlus and Office All-in-One Standard plan
• RingCentral Users can only access the company Dial-by-Name Directory by dialing the Main Company Number.
• Calling the Dial-by-Name Directory's extension number will return an error message "Wrong Extension".
• If your RingCentral Auto-Receptionist is set to Multi-Level, you will not be able to disable the Dial-by-Name directory or change the extension.
• There is no way to increase or decrease the required amount of letters entered in the search, it must be 3 letters.
How to setup the Dial-by-Name Directory
You need to be an Account Administrator to perform this action.
1. Log in to your RingCentral account
2. On the Admin Portal
page, click Phone System
3. Go to Auto-Receptionist > Dial-by-Name Directory
4. Under the Dial-by-Name Directory
section, you will see the following options:
Enable or disable the Dial-by-Name directory
Use the toggle On or Off to enable or disable the Dial-by-Name directory feature.
By default, all users in the account are added to the dial-by-name directory. Click the Edit button to remove extensions from the directory. Extensions removed from the dial-by-name directory will not pull up in a search. Change the routing option for the Directory to any available number.
The default extension for the dial-by-name directory is 9. You can change the Directory Extension number according to your preference, then click Save.
Choose to search your phone system by the first three letters of the users’ first or last names, then click Save.